[mythtv-users] Transcoding profiles

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu May 19 17:08:03 UTC 2011

On 5/19/2011 12:56, Christopher Meredith wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>> On 5/19/2011 12:01, Christopher Meredith wrote:
>>> Also, I choose 3250 kbps because that's the current convention for archived, HD, commercial-less recordings (1-hour show = 1.1 GB).
>> By who?  People who have been known in years past to use stupid encoding
>> options that play hell with hardware decoders?  People who fervently
>> insist that in this day and age, content still exist in a filesize such
>> that it perfectly fits on some optical medium? If you're going to follow
>> standard practices dictated by 'the scene', don't forget to pack up all
>> your content in RARs, split at 15MB chunks.
> Why do you care what settings I use?

http://xkcd.com/386/

The point I'm trying to make is that running two pass encoding for that
specific bitrate is a terrible sub-optimization made for reasons that
very likely have no relevance to your use case.  Multi-pass encoding
only exists to allow you to set the quantizer to hit a specific target
file size.  Accurate target file sizes only have worth if you're trying
to store on a medium with limited space.  If you're actually archiving
this stuff to DVD afterwards, then the cost to do so, time spent burning
and recovering from optical media, and expected lifetime, is a whole
other discussion.