[mythtv-users] Transcoding profiles

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu May 19 16:12:04 UTC 2011

On 5/19/2011 12:01, Christopher Meredith wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>>> AFAIK, mythtranscode is still incapable of working with HD-PVR
>>> recordings anyway.
>> Mythtranscode can work with HDPVR recordings just fine, however the
>> special lossless cutting mechanism only works with MPEG2.  It works by
>> performing a GOP cut, followed by filling the frames between the extent
>> of the GOP structure and the real cutpoint itself with I-frames.  Any
>> HDPVR content will instead be transcoded to MPEG4 in a NuppelVideo
>> container.
>>
>>> If you're looking to cut commercials, I've found
>>> that recording at max quality, then transcoding to MPEG2, then cutting
>>> commercials with mythtranscode, then converting back to h264 using
>>> HandBrake at 3250 kbps produces better-looking results than an
>>> unconverted HD-PVR recording done at 3250 kbps.
>> That seems to be an extremely long winded way of doing things.  Surely
>> handbrake can be fed a cutlist and do the cutting directly on the first
>> pass.  At least choose something lossless and fast as your intermediary
>> format, like huffman, rather than MPEG2.  While the 13.5mbps max quality
>> recordings out of the HDPVR are overkill by any measure, 3250kbps seems
>> awfully low for even 720p60.  I would expect more like 4-6 depending on
>> the grain and motion in the content.  At any rate, you shouldn't be
>> setting the bitrate anyway.  Save yourself the second pass, set a
>> constant quantizer to 20 or so, and let the compressor decide what's best.
> HandBrake does not appear to support EDL or cutlists. For my use case,
> I require the ability to use mythcommflag and mythtranscode and to
> achieve frame-accurate cuts. Can mythcommflag and mythtranscode work
> with huffman encoding?

Not directly, no.  However you can get mythtranscode to act as a raw
frame server to another application that can.  See nuvexport for an
example on how to do this.

> Also, I choose 3250 kbps because that's the current convention for archived, HD, commercial-less recordings (1-hour show = 1.1 GB).

By who?  People who have been known in years past to use stupid encoding
options that play hell with hardware decoders?  People who fervently
insist that in this day and age, content still exist in a filesize such
that it perfectly fits on some optical medium? If you're going to follow
standard practices dictated by 'the scene', don't forget to pack up all
your content in RARs, split at 15MB chunks.