[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Fluf fluffkinuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 15:33:57 UTC 2011

On 19 May 2011 16:22, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> I agree with all that Mike has said here, but I suspect that even that
> may be making things more complicated than is necessary unless you
> really want to be able to get your signals from more than one
> transmitter - perhaps to have the option of two sets of regional
> programmes - and your aerial and location will permit this.
>
> If your best choice of a single transmitter is obvious, I think you only
> need to input the frequency for _one_  of its multiplexes and tick the
> option to look for others that are linked to it; but you need to have
> deleted _all_ your dvb channels before you do this.

Ey up!
I'm a bit stunned actually. I know most people have a dipole, single
direction aerial, so they point it and go with what they get. But I know
that if I went for one of the 3 or so transmitters I can get a useable
signal from and ditched the others, I'd have a lot less channels. Some areas
of the UK are still around the only 8 or 9 channels including radio from one
transmitter as an option. Other areas get more.
Also, different transmitters bunch the channels together in different ways.
So recording from the same frequency becomes more of a choice when you use
more than one transmitter.

I thought this was the kind of thing Myth was supposed to be great at!

[And btw. From previous experiments, if I do a single transponder search
including looking for linked, I very often get sent to some of the known bad
frequencies, but oddly, I've never had a scan on a different frequency come
up with 842 for example, which is probably the strongest signal I've got.]

I think what I'm saying is .. in my situation, the myth-setup program really
doesn't make it easy at all to configure and be sure you know what it's
doing in the background. I know what I want to achieve, and it seems
reasonable to me to be able to use the signals from the transmitters I can
get ... I just have a cludgy tool that I don't really trust to try and do it
with.