[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu May 19 14:39:52 UTC 2011

On 19/05/11 14:17, Fluf wrote:

> I seem to be banging my head against a Myth brick wall.
> Easy huh?
>
> All I want to do is ... Tell it the 7 good freqs. Scan the 7 good freqs. Use
> all of the good program feeds from the 7 good freqs. IE. Have 2 x Film4 both
> pointing at Film4. One from each mux. Yet this seems impossible using
> mythtv-setup and I can't begin to fathom what the database should look like
> for that configuration.
>
> So. VDR? Freevo? Or use dvblast or some other external streamer to Myth that
> I can actually control? Because I'm about to give up on Mythtv's tuner
> entirely as a joke.

Nope. If you have 7 then you're doing something wrong, *six* multiplexes covers
every need until 2012. (In fact, five are in use in most places as they shuffle
things round to reserve one for HD TV.)

Go to this website: Http://www.ukfree.tv/

On the right hand side, put in your postcode. That will bring up a list of
transmitters you should be able to receive. In practice, you might be able to
receive more, but they will be weaker than those shown.

Now click on the one your aerial points at[1], and you should get a list of the
multiplexes, channels served and frequencies. NOTE ALL DOWN. This is your master
list for the future.

Next step, in mythtv-setup, Delete All Sources. This should get rid of the
thousands of entries you have in the database. *Delete All* is the only way to
clear down the table.

Next step, manually enter each new transport (ie multiplex) into the transport
editor and do a Single Scan. When it comes up with the popup box at the end,
*always* answer ignore to the question, this refers to the results of any
previous scans you have already done.

You really don't need to have multiple instances of each channel. Amongst other
things, this will just complicate scheduling. Myth is smart enough to do the
right thing.

[1] The highlighted one will be the strongest, but like me you might be the
wrong side of a factory/hill/tower block...

--

Mike Perkins