[mythtv-users] Possible tiny mythfrontend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed May 18 22:08:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Robert Longbottom
<rongblor at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 18 May 2011, at 03:27 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/18/2011 07:35, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>>> I know this will probably be shut down but in a perfect world :)
>>>
>>> http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/25-computer-is.php
>>
>> Until such time as MythTV supports whatever video decoder exists on that
>> chip, it will be useless.  At such time as the video decoder is
>> supported by MythTV, it will still be useless because mythfrontend will
>> not be useful at 1080p resolution and only 128MB of memory.
>
> All sadly true :(
>
> Is there not a case for someone to write "mythfrontend-lite"?

Isn't simply a matter of suppporting upnp|dlna and the right codecs &
containers?

While myth can be quite good about supporting new acceleration methods
(viz, vdpau adoption) it sometimes isn't (viz crystal, which seems to
be taking longer).

OTOH the device probably comes with a native player, and in
combination with ushare to mount the upnp server you could have a
workable system out of the box. (I assume here that ushare will work
on arm).