[mythtv-users] Questions on configuration

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed May 18 14:36:42 UTC 2011

On 5/18/2011 07:54, Grymoire wrote:
> 1. What is a good choice for a hybrid tuner?

The only good choice for a hybrid tuner is the HVR-2200/-2250.  All
other hybrid tuners are simple framegrabbers, and as such should only be
used for digital.

> 2. Do I need a graphics card if I use the LGA1156
>     integrated Intel graphics?

The integrated graphics on i3/i5 units should have plenty of power for
the OpenGL renderer, and the chip itself should be sufficient for any
software decoding needs.  VAAPI is not supported at this time, so you
will be unable to use hardware accelerated decoding.

> 3. If I need a graphics card, is the NVIDIA GT430
>     a good choice?

Should work fine.

> 4. Is the EVGA GT430 compatible with the NVIDIA
>     product of the same name?

nVidia does not manufacture cards (besides their demo units).  They
manufacture chips, and companies such as EVGA put them on cards and sell
them.

> 5. Which video driver do I use? NVidia Proprietary? (Released or
>     developers?) Open Source?  Do I need anything else? OpenGL?
>     3d? Xwindows extensions?

If you are using an nVidia card, you need the nVidia proprietary
drivers.  If you are using an ATI card, stop, and purchase an nVidia card.

> 6. Is there an easier way to debug the backend if I
>     cannot watch LiveTV on the front end?

Check your backend logs for the reason the recording failed.

> 7. How do I swtich MythTV from using a DVI monitor to a HDMI monitor?

Often times, you just plug it into a different port.

> 8. How can I debug the scanning process in MythTV?
>     Can I do this on the command line?

There is some form of command line scanner in mythtv-setup, but it is
rarely, if ever, used.

> Monitor: Cheap! Gateway FPD1775. COnnected with a DVI cable.
>           Xorg.0.log says it does not support NVIDIA 3D.

I don't see why that would be a problem.

> In the future, I plan to plug this into our HDTV (Sony Bravia).
> I ordered a 25-ft HDMI cable.

Note that USB is limited to 16' unless you get special active extension
cables.  Adding an IR receiver for remote control may be an issue.