[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime - Preorders official on newegg

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 12:05:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> On 14/05/11 23:06, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Ronald Frazier<ron at ronfrazier.net>  wrote:
>>> My opinion is that the 6 tuner really isn't that worth it.
>>
>> I agree.  I can't think of a time when I've had a scheduling conflict
>> was bad enough that three tuners couldn't handle it.  I just
>> pre-ordered one of the 3 tuner units today.
>>
> I don't think that was the point, as was spelt out during a recent thread. If
> you use a cablecard, you can't use multirec. If you want multirec, you can't use
> a cablecard. The idea is that, if you get a six-pack, then you put a cablecard
> in one half only and get the best of both worlds.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

The problem with the 3CC/3QAM six-pack is that $250 for a triple QAM
tuner is very expensive.  My guess is nobody will actually us it like
this.  They will just shell out the extra $1.50 a month (Comcast) for
an additional CC.

It would be cool if CableLabs rules would allow the QAM side to use
the channel/frequency table from the CC side.  Unfortunately, they are
not allowed to share ANY data.  This is why all DATA ports are doubled
on the six-tuner.  2x RF, 2x network, 2x CC, 2x USB, and 1x power
(only non data port)

The advantages of the six-tuner are that it will blend in better with
HT equipment, work better for people/businesses who place video
equipment in racks, and reduce the number of power adapters in your
setup.