[mythtv-users] New issue - stuttering audio on playback of certain recordings/videos

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu May 12 02:09:00 UTC 2011

> On 05/11/2011 06:49 PM, Bob Sully wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>
>> Just updated to JYA's latest 0.24-fixes binaries.  Previous update was
>> about three weeks ago, and all has been OK since, until today.  There
>> have
>> been NO hardware changes or other system tweaks performed.
>>
>> I now have problems with rhythmic stuttering audio -rapid off/on; (video
>> is fine) when I play back h.264 recordings made from my HD-PVR (720p) OR
>> if I play back .mkv videos (same behavior).
>
> I've got the same problem. It goes away if I uncheck the option to
> upconvert stereo to 5.1 audio. FWIW, that's been a bit dodgey for me
> since upgrading to 0.24, anyhow -- it works fine for a few minutes, and
> then I get a brief audio glitch (a brief crackle, or transfer of sound
> from the front to rear speakers for a fraction of a second, or
> whatever). Then it works fine, followed by a brief glitch, and so on.
> Thus, I've been relying on my receiver's upmix features since the 0.24
> upgrade, despite the fact that my receiver tends to change modes
> whenever I pause or fast forward. The only reason I know about the issue
> is that I tried the MythTV upmix feature after my last MythTV update.
> (I'm also using the JYA builds.)

Thanks, this at least makes the files watchable - the stutter is gone -
but the affected files now only play in stereo, even though they're 5.1
files.  The ones that didn't have an issue before still play just fine -
in 5.1.

BTW, I tried this on both my combined BE/FE with the Sony receiver and a
FE machine with a Kenwood receiver.  Same results.

I think the Sony generally has issues with upmixing anyway, but was
working OK before the latest update (though I have had occasional issues
with the receiver "locking" in analog mode - nothing fixes that except
rebooting the Myth box - and I still have to consistently mute/unmute
twice in alsamixer immediately after a reboot, or sound doesn't work
right; I don't have to do this with the Kenwood).

Bob