[mythtv-users] OT: DVB-T2 projects UK based

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed May 11 11:18:16 UTC 2011

> what's the spec of the system you're testing on?
> I want to help but am concerned that my little FE/SBE system may not be
> powerful enough to cope with HD.
> Its an AOPEN MP45-DR with Intel P8400 2.26Gz and GM45GPU

I'm using a Zotac ION based system running Fedora FC14.

At the moment I'm just trying to capture a recording and, as I
understand things, system performance isn't an issue for that.

If and when I manage to get something recorded I'll start worrying
about being able to play it :-)

> This all looks quite promising.  I'd be happy to start some testing on some
> spare hardware I have, my frontend is an Acer Revo which copes with HD
> admirably, and my backend is a good quad-core system.  How hard is it to
> build the drivers and keep the system up-to date?

Building the drivers wasn't hard because the script provided here

http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git

does it all.

I had to install the kernel-devel package which meant kernel and
nvidia updates.  The script then asked for a couple of other packages
and a perl module to be installed.  Probably pretty straightforward if
you know what you're doing, but it took me a while to figure out.

The script builds loads of stuff as well as the cxd2820r driver, and
took a while.

#make install

to install the drivers and, on a reboot the cxd2820r was automatically loaded.

I'm running MythTv 0.24 fixes from a couple of weeks ago which I
compiled myself, but wondering if I should be running trunk?

In MythTV setup the 290e is detected both as a DVB device and as a V4L
device.  I chose DVB.

I went through the rest of the setup and did a channel scan which
found 65 DVB channels and 2 MPEG channels.  I don't remember seeing
MPEG channels before (could these be HD channels?)

I downloaded some listing data from tv_grab_uk_rt. The DVB channels
had callsigns and channel information in the database from the channel
scan, the other two channels didn't so I fudged listing data for them
copied from other channels.

I started a frontend to tried and set up a recording...which is where
things started to go wrong :-(

I couldn't get a successful recording on any channel (I didn't try
them all but I tried a few).  The frontend displayed the recordings as
"being tuned" rather than "being recorded".  At first glance the
backend log looked OK, with a "Started Recording" message, and no
errors.

Now it might just be I have a poor signal.  I'm using the little
spring thing that came with the USB tuner for the aerial.  I'll move
my test system tonight and plug it into my roof aerial.

Otherwise I'm going to:

1)    Try the V4L option on the capture card setup.
2)    Enable more detailed logging on the backend
3)    Look up the transmitter parameters for Crystal Palace and look
at the Transport settings in the database.
4)    Fiddle with the tuning parameters in mythtv-setup
5)    Do some more Googling

Experience from others would definitely be useful.