[mythtv-users] MythVideo DVD playback fault tolerance

Chris Jewell chrism0dwk at gmail.com
Wed May 11 05:17:22 UTC 2011

On 11 May 2011, at 03:23, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Scott Alfter <scott at alfter.us> wrote:
>> On 5/7/2011 05:01, Chris Jewell wrote:
>>> I have compared this . . .with VLC (running on the mythbuntu box) which
>>> appears simply to skip a frame and carry on.
>>
>> I don't think you can rule out hardware.  I'm assuming that you're using
>> different drives with your MythTV box and your Mac; what happens if you plug
>> your MythTV box's optical drive into your Mac and play a disc from there (or
>> the other way around: plug your Mac's optical drive into your MythTV box)?
>> It's possible that one drive is less tolerant of scratches and other defects
>> than the other.
>
> I think that was his point of mentioning the VLC test. VLC handles it
> perfectly fine, with just a small skip.

Indeed the point.  Thanks for the info, Ron.  The trouble is, I can't easily pull the DVD drive out of my Mac, or plug the MythTV box drive into my Mac.  Googling around, I see quite a few instances of people using a Sony BC-5500H-01 drive with Linux.

The only related post I ahve seen was this: http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2008-March/061206.html with no follow ups.  Seems odd?

Cheers,

Chris