[mythtv-users] I2C RW failure, with experimental 80e driver...

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed May 11 03:48:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Martin, Charles <cmart at dolby.com> wrote:
> Hi all -
>
>  This time, I'm trying to bring up an 80e PCTV device, using the Micronas drx3933 driver obtained from here:
>
> http://www.kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/v4l-dvb-80e/file/30c6512030ac
>
>   It was pretty easy to set up, and the device seems to register fine on my target system when I plug in the 80e.
>
> However, when I try to tune in, I get this error:
>
> drx3933: I2C write/read failed
> drx39xxj: could not get lock status!
> drx3933: I2C write/read failed
> drx39xxj: could not open i2c gate [-2]
> Pid: 2155, comm: kdvb-ad-0-fe-0 Not tainted 2.6.28 #1
> Call Trace:
>  [<e8c824e1>] drx39xxj_i2c_gate_ctrl+0x61/0x90 [drx39xyj]

<snip>

> Is it possible I'm missing some option when configuring my kernel for I2C?  I'm just wondering if anyone else encountered this problem (Mr. Heitmueller?)
>
> Thanks, Charles.

Hi Charles,

I swear it was working when I put the tree up there almost a year ago
(on 2.6.35 anyway).  :-/

Did you install the firmware files?  Were there any other errors shown
when the device was attached?

I actually haven't built that driver under Linux for quite some time,
so it's possible that there was some sort of incompatibility with your
particular kernel.

I really need to find some cycles to get that tree built against a
current kernel and do some testing to shake out any issues.  It's
amazing how these trees can develop some bitrot if not actively
maintained (which is largely a product of my lack of time rather than
a lack of desire).

It's probably also worth nothing that the ATSC was wokring but I
didn't yet get around to the ClearQAM support, so if that was your
intended usage then I can tell you it will *definitely* fail with the
current code.  It's one of those things I could probably have working
in about an hour (I know exactly what needs to change), assuming I
could find the time to do it.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs