[mythtv-users] MythVideo: Umlaut, special characters in filenames in storage groups - files invisible

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 10 16:23:37 UTC 2011

On 05/10/2011 11:45 AM, barbex wrote:
>> I had the same problem, I included all the locale settings in the script that starts mythbackend.
> What I did try was to stop mythbackend, do export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF8 in
> a terminal and start mythbackend again. That did not change anything.
> I can try writing it in the script tonight but I assumed that what I
> did should have had the same result.
> I also wrote it in a file called mythtv-backend in /etc/default/ (to
> my limited knowledge this should be called before the script starts)
> but again nothing changed.
>

> As an aside, is there a reason why everybody elses locale shows
> ...UTF-8 and mine is ...UTF8  without the dash?
>
> locale:
> LANG=de_DE.UTF8
> LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF8"
> LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF8"
> etc...

Use the hyphen, and try again.

You can find out for sure what it is by using:

localedef --help

which should end with something like:

System's directory for character maps : /usr/share/i18n/charmaps
                        repertoire maps: /usr/share/i18n/repertoiremaps
                        locale path    : /usr/lib/locale:/usr/share/i18n

which means I can verify that it has a hyphen with:

$ ls /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF*
/usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz

Notice the hyphen.  And, coupled with:

$ ls /usr/share/i18n/locales/de_DE*
/usr/share/i18n/locales/de_DE  /usr/share/i18n/locales/de_DE at euro

I know that I should use:

export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8

Mike