[mythtv-users] HDHomerun recordings won't play...

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Fri May 6 12:23:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 12:33:07PM -0500, F.B. Parker wrote:

> As a test, yesterday afternoon I set it to record the CBS Evening News. This
> worked fine. I was able to play it back using a WD TV Live, which is what I
> use for a frontend. Works fine. The HD video looked great with no breakups
> or weirdness.
>
> So I set it to record a HD NOVA episode on PBS. When I tried to play it on
> the WD TV Live, it would display one frame and then stop. The file is a (I
> guess) reasonable size - about 4.5 GB. I copied the file over to the Mac,
> opened it in VLC, and same thing: one frame. I can move the scroll indicator
> in VLC. The same frame is shown. If I hit "Play", the same frame is shown,
> and there's no progress.

Are you able to test with MythFrontEnd proper? I've had similar trouble
playing HDHR-recorded HD shows on non-MythFE systems (most notably XBMC
on Windows 7). Normally "bad" shows exhibit one of two behaviors: either
they won't play at all; or they'll play until/unless I try to seek/jump
in the program, and then they'll stop. These "bad" shows play just fine
in MythFE, even the Win32 port of MythFE. And most HDHR recordings
play fine everywhere. FWIW, I've seen "bad" shows both from OTA/ATSC
recordings and cable/QAM.

I think I'm now running a 0.23.1+fixes BE (ubuntu 10.04 LTS), but I've been
using Myth and HDHR for years, and never had these problems playing
HDHR shows on a Linux system running the official Myth FE. Nor do I have
problems now when running the Myth frontend on Windows.

-Peter