[mythtv-users] Asus AT3N7A-I

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu May 5 22:16:18 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 10:32 PM, Frank Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM, R. G. Newbury<newbury at mandamus.org>  wrote:
>
>> Well it turns out I was right. The chipset was too new for FC12. I
>> burned an F15 iso and it installed and recognized the NIC. Actually
>> lspci calls it an RTL8111....
>>

> FYI, since this is possibly relevant hardware:
>
> If dmesg | grep XID shows 0c100000 or 0c200000, then it may be recognized as
> 8168b/8111b even though it is actually 8168e/8111e. It will work until you
> do heavy traffic, then may reboot/freeze.
>
> Proper support should be in 2.6.39 (needs firmware).

Thanks for that. The F15 Beta is on 2.6.38-2. Development is 2.6.38-4
and Rawhide at 2.6.38-5 if I remember last night's browsing correctly.

2.6.39 is still on koji. I will probably grab that and install it. The
new box hung up this morning and I thought it was firefox4 which I find
just 'goes-away' sometimes, while it is loading a page (mouse freezes
until page is loaded).
But I was opening about 5 tabs at once from bookmarks, so that could
have been the problem.

Not sure I understand the  "(needs firmware)" reference however. Surely
that would be in the kernel.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury