[mythtv-users] replacement board discussion

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:17:08 UTC 2011

On 05/05/11 06:20, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> The motherboard for my MythTV backend/frontend has died.
> The Jetway MB JNC81-LF Mini-ITX (Socket AM2+) needs a replacement but
> the JNC81 itself is out of production.

Up to you Udo, but I have decided to stay away from Jetway.

The first two mini-ITX boards I got were Jetways, but then I got Via
Epias and the difference in build quality and design is staggering.
Visually, the difference between (for example) a Jetway J7F4
(http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/images/img_55.gif) and a Via Epia EN
(http://www.picco.nl/images/A32515.jpg) is very clear. You can see why I
had trouble keeping the fanless Jetway alive: it was just not being
cooled properly. Same processor/frequency and similar chipset on both.

I'm now using Zotac H55-based mini-ITX boards with Intel Core i3
processors. These aren't fanless, but then I've given up on fanless boards.

OK, so these don't have PCI slots (which you need). I started migrating
my tuners to USB some time ago, in anticipation of the demise of PCI.
I'll be retiring my last PVR150 shortly. But still: I had no trouble
finding a mini-ITX board with a PCI slot at my favourite on-line
retailer's. Contact me off-list if you want to know more.

Cheers, Jan