[mythtv-users] HDHomerun recordings won't play...

F.B. Parker fbp.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:33:07 UTC 2011

Greetings

I am running MythTV 0.24 under mythbuntu 10.10. I have a PVR-150 to record
SD programs off digital cable; works great. I've been using MythTV since
1996, so not a total noob.

I have recently installed an HDHomerun to get the local digital OTA
channels. I can run hdhomerun_config_gui.app on my Mac. It sees the HDHR and
can tune and display (using VLC) live streams of the local digital OTA
channels. Looks good.

I set up the MythTV backend machine to recognize the HDHR, and I have given
it its own video source, which is the local OTA stations for my area from
schedulesdirect.org.

As a test, yesterday afternoon I set it to record the CBS Evening News. This
worked fine. I was able to play it back using a WD TV Live, which is what I
use for a frontend. Works fine. The HD video looked great with no breakups
or weirdness.

So I set it to record a HD NOVA episode on PBS. When I tried to play it on
the WD TV Live, it would display one frame and then stop. The file is a (I
guess) reasonable size - about 4.5 GB. I copied the file over to the Mac,
opened it in VLC, and same thing: one frame. I can move the scroll indicator
in VLC. The same frame is shown. If I hit "Play", the same frame is shown,
and there's no progress.

I have made several other HD and SD recordings using the HDHR, and they all
now fail in the same slightly different way:

I attempt to view them with the WD TV live. It looks like it's going to play
the recording and then fails with an error: "Unable to play the selected
file. Please see the user manual for a list of supported file formats."

Huh? This worked fine yesterday. (Only once, but it did work.)

And then the same thing in VLC: One frame. File size is correct, it just
won't play in VLC.

This is weird, because it worked once when I first tested it out, and now it
doesn't work at all.

Very strange.

Ideas?

-Bo Parker