[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:23:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Tom Lichti <redpepperracing at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Dan Wilga
>> <mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

>> > Has anyone made any progress on figuring out what the real reason for
>> > this issue is, in the first place? Is it the device firmware, or the
>> > software on the Linux side? Do Windows users have the same problem?
>> >
>> > I think it makes more sense to try to solve the issue than to spend time
>> > on a clever (but still fallible) workaround. The lockup problem is the
>> > sole reason I haven't bought one or two PD-PVRs. If my wife were to miss
>> > Dancing with the Stars due to a zero-length recording, I'd be in deep
>> > kaka :-).
>>
>> I haven't actually run into the problem yet, but I've only been
>> running my HD-PVR in 'production' for a couple of weeks.
>>
>> Tom
>>

> I've been lucky, I haven't had the issue in about a month <knocks on wood>
> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

Just to add a data point, I actually haven't had any major issue with
my HD-PVR, I'm more interested in simply turning it off while not in
use.  I did have a problem once.  It turned out that some loose cables
in my closet had fallen and were restricting airflow to the HD-PVR
(which has a fan pulling air across it most of the time).  I moved the
cables and haven't had a problem since.  While many say that Windows
users aren't experiencing the issues we have, I'm wondering if there
isn't a subset of problems due solely to heat issues.

George