[mythtv-users] Window focus issue in welcome screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 3 18:46:26 UTC 2011

On 05/03/2011 01:43 PM, E. Westbrook wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:06, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> FWIW, using RatPoison as a Window Manager is a great solution.
> Wow!  I'd never heard of RatPoison before this thread, and having looked
> into it now, I will definitely be diving in head-first.  It seems IDEAL for
> MythTV, as it promises to be super lightweight (only 18,000 lines of code
> including whitespace, are you kidding me?), super simple (learning curve
> nothwithstanding), and all windows apparently go precisely where you say
> they should, full stop.  It also looks to be deeply satisfying for a
> /usr/bin/screen devotee and high-speed touch-typist like me.
>
> Thanks so much for the tip, francis3 and Michael!

To be really impressed, see, also:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Do_I_really_need_a_window_manager_for_a_frontend_only_box.3F

and

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/230354#230354

(the latter showing that RatPoison only uses an additional 300kiB (yes,
kilo, not mega) of RAM compared to using no Window Manager at all--but
with RatPoison, your windows are properly managed and placed and stacked).

Mike