[mythtv-users] HD-PVR horizontal bands

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:11:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'd like to resurrect this discussion (history here:
> http://bit.ly/k9brVY ) because I have a little more info. To recap,
> anything recorded with my HD-PVR has thick, horizontal bars of
> discoloration running up the screen. I have tried different cables to
> no avail. This is the new information:
>
> 1. I have a video clip showing the behavior here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oiNXsJVd_0 . It's most easily seen in
> the first scene on the wall behind the characters.
>
> 2. Most of the previous replies had to do with group loops and AC hum,
> but I have noticed that when watching on the TV through the HD-PVR
> passthrough (i.e. NOT recorded content) I do not see the lines. This,
> even though there is a second cable through which the signal must go
> when watching this way. That suggests to me that the artifacts are not
> in the signal when it gets to the HD-PVR.
>
> 3. I recently had my HD-PVR RMA replaced. The old one was a C2
> revision, the new one is an F2. I am still noticing the behavior on
> the new box.
>
> Does this information help any? Could it still be AC hum even though
> it does not show up on the TV, despite the signal being routed through
> the HD-PVR? Thanks!
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oiNXsJVd_0

I don't know if this could help, but have you considered altering your
capture bitrate from CBR to VBR (or vice-versa) to see if it makes any
difference?  What is your current profile settings as far as max bit rate
and avg bit rate?

Just an idea.

/Brian/