[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime up for pre-order at Amazon

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 21:19:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Greg <greg12866 at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> On 05/02/2011 12:39 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> > On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Greg<greg12866 at nycap.rr.com>  wrote:
> >
> >>   It would be nice if the  HDHR-P would work under Linux,but  I think
> >> you are going find there is going too be a lot of disappointed people..
> >> Here in Northern NY,the only channels that are in the clear are the
> >> locals...
> > Just to be clear, are you positive you are talking about cablecard
> > copy restrictions, and not just encryption? Channels that are
> > encrypted and marked copy-freely will work perfectly fine in myth with
> > a HDHR-prime, but will NOT be viewable with a QAM tuner. I haven't
> > seen many reports from people anywhere saying that their cablecard
> > setups aren't marked copy-freely for the non-premium channels, so I
> > just want to make sure you aren't mixed up on the
> > technology/terminology.
> >
> I Just got done with putting my STB (Samsung smt-3260) in the diagnostic
> mode. It allows you to check each channel.. My report is locals and a
> few shopping channels report as copy freely,the rest are reported as
> copy once,even the test bar channel is copy once..... I don't know if
> the HDPVR-P will handle copy once.. If I understand copy once
> correctly,you should be able to record to a PC and play your recording
> on that PC only...I could live with that...
>
> I am located in Northern NY, north of Albany using Time Warner...

I think you meant HDHR-P not HDPVR-P.  The HDHR-P will handle copy-once just
fine.  It is MythTV that will not handle it at all.

Content Path:
1) HDHR-P tunes the frequency and passes stream to CableCard
2) CableCard decrypts content (if necessary) and passes back to HDHR-P
3) HDHR-P passes (a, b, or c):
      a) copy-freely content to anyone who asks for it.
      b) copy-once content to anyone who implements the proper DRM.
      c) copy-never content to nobody sorta.  'c' may not be entirely true
because I was told Win7 MC can do this.

MythTV will only every get 3a (copy-freely) content because it does not and
will never implement the proper DRM.

For you, that is basically the same as a Clear-QAM tuner.  The PRIME would
be a waste of money.  It looks like Comcast customers have the best shot at
the PRIME being a very useful product.