[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime up for pre-order at Amazon

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon May 2 18:18:04 UTC 2011

> They are all the same flags.  The confusion arises from the fact that
> firewire can be used to positively indicate a channel will be available, but
> not to negatively indicate a channel will not be available.  Since the copy
> freely content is uncontrolled, there is no specification on how a 5C device
> should behave with such material.  Some cable box firmwares will still
> require the 5C handshake that MythTV is incapable of performing, resulting
> in a copy-freely show being unrecordable.

Assuming your are correct in that statement, it basically boils down
to "restricted firewire doesn't mean cable card will be similarly
restricted", which was pretty much what I was trying to say. I guess
maybe I was unclear on a little bit of the behind the scenes technical
info, but the basic idea I was trying to convey (that the 2 are not
equivalent) is still true. Thanks for the info.

--
Ron Frazier