[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime up for pre-order at Amazon

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:28:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cable content is protected in two ways.  Encryption and copy protection.
>  The decryption is handles by the cable card and the copy protection is
> handled by the HDHomeRun PRIME.  The PRIME's job is to take the decrypted
> content from the CableCard, and protect it if need be.  Content marked for
> copy protection must not be accessible by non-certified software.  There are
> three types of content:
> 1) Unencrypted with no copy protection (exactly the same content as a Clear
> QAM tuner in MythTV)
> 2) Encrypted with no copy protection (exactly the same content as a Firewire
> tuner in MythTV)
> 3) Encrypted with copy protection (never gonna happen)
> MythTV can do 1 and 2, but Win7 MC is the only software certified to do all
> three.

What about the copy protection flags like copy-once and copy-freely?
I thought the PRIME would allow mythtv to record the
copy-freely-flagged shows but not the copy-once shows?  This means
channels that are encrypted and copy-protected copy-freely would be
recordable.  Now the question is how to determine which channels or
shows use the copy-freely or copy-once flags.

/Brian/