[mythtv-users] Hauppauge remote control (Nova-T DVB-T)

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Mon May 2 12:15:46 UTC 2011

On 02/05/2011 13:00, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>> Or is there a simple fix to what I already have that I'm missing?
> All is not lost yet. Put your credit card away for the moment:)
>
> The two configs you posted are configured to use the following input devices:
>
> /dev/input/event2 (config A)
> /dev/input/irremote (config B)
>
> Does the IR input on your card map to either of these inputs? The
> second device (/dev/input/irremote) is likely to have been created by
> a udev rule - is this still in place and working?
>
> Based on your previous posts, you most likely want to configure LIRC
> to use either:
>
> /dev/input/event6
>
> or
>
> /dev/input/event7
>
> depending on which Nova-T card the IR receiver is plugged in to. These
> devices are likely to swap around on boot, and also if you remove or
> add any additional input devices, so it is better to specify a
> persistent deviec name that does not change. You could quickly try
> each of these in turn though, stopping and restarting lircd between
> attempts to see if things improve. You will need the lircd.conf for
> your remote in place, and should test with irw once lircd is running.
>
> You can list all current input devices with:
>
> $ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
>

> With two identical cards you may be best off long term by specifying
> the IR input to use with a /dev/input/by-path/pci-.... device name,
> rather that the more conventional /dev/input/eventX name you see
> above. These devices names live in the/dev/input/by-path/  directory
> and are specific to the hardware they represent. As long as you choose
> the correct card (it might be trial and error here to determine which
> of the two cards the receiver is attached to, but generally PCI slot
> addresses increase the further from the the center of the board you
> move) your remote should also be bound to the correct Nova-T card.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick
Thanks for that Nick.

Here's the relevant output of the command you suggested:

I: Bus=0001 Vendor=0070 Product=9002 Version=0001
N: Name="cx88 IR (Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T"
P: Phys=pci-0000:01:06.0/ir0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.0/0000:01:06.0/rc/rc0/input6
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event6
B: EV=100003
B: KEY=100fc312 214a80200000000 0 18000 41a800004801 9e168000000000 10000ffc

I: Bus=0001 Vendor=0070 Product=9002 Version=0001
N: Name="cx88 IR (Hauppauge Nova-T DVB-T"
P: Phys=pci-0000:01:08.0/ir0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.0/0000:01:08.0/rc/rc1/input7
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event7
B: EV=100003
B: KEY=100fc312 214a80200000000 0 18000 41a800004801 9e168000000000 10000ffc

I know that my remote should be either event6 or event7 (if it's still
to be set up using event numbers?), but I tried every combination of
those I could last night and couldn't get it working. Oddly enough, when
I tried hardware.conf files that were closest to when I knoe have worked
before, lirc wouldn't even restart!

Thanks for helping out. I'm still feeling like I'd rather spend a few
£/$ rather than have this mess, but no one seems to be saying that
buying XYZ would be any sort of cure all! I'd probably still have this
trouble.

I wish the people who wrote the really clear tutorials previously would
do an update. I found them incredibly easy to follow. Maybe those users
have moved on from Myth/Linux?

Damian