[mythtv-users] SL6 Kernel/nVidia Drivers

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun May 1 11:51:37 UTC 2011

On 01/05/11 01:52, Ben Kamen wrote:

> I need a little advice since I'm normally not one to stray outside the normal available packages -- BUT....
>
> So MythTV wants nVidia drivers. No problem.
>
> The "nvidia-graphics" listed by yumex is 260.19.44-56 which is built for an older kernel than the system has running.
> nvidia-graphics (260.19.44-56) wants to deal with kernel-2.6.32-71.7.1.el6
>
> and yum errors out because my current kernel is 2.6.32-71.24.1.el6 (which is newer). Ok - that makes sense.
>
> Oddly enough, there's an "nvidia-graphics173" fileset that is able to install with my current kernel, but when I install it,
> X no longer starts. In Xorg.0.log is:
>
> (II) Loading extension DRI2
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia-graphics-173.14.20/nvidia_drv.so
> dlopen: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia-graphics-173.14.20/nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol: resVgaShared
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia-graphics-173.14.20/nvidia_drv.so
> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (loader failed, 7)
> (EE) No drivers available.

> I'm not sure where to go from here.
>
> Is this a question topical enough to ask here (since it's all in my quest for MythTV on SL6 for this new system)?
>
> let me know and I'll chase it elsewhere... we have so many nvidia-savvy folks here, I'm thinking this would at least be a good place to start.
>

> As always, thanks a ton,
>
>    -Ben

I'm not clear what your problem is, and if you are hoping to run SL6
from ATrpms the ATrpms-user list would seem a better place to ask,
although traffic there recently has been fairly sparse.

The ATrpms download site has 'kmdls' for a wide range of Nvidia drivers,
but you need to select the one your hardware needs by referring to this:

If the series 173 _is_ the one you need you should be able to find the
modules that you want here:

http://dl.atrpms.net/sl6-x86_64/atrpms/stable/

I'm not sure how much help yum (or you) needs in making the selections,
but it looks to me as if you ought to be able to find the modules that
you need.

Cheers,

John P