[mythtv-users] Digital switchover channel confusion

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Mar 31 10:02:53 UTC 2011

On 31/03/11 07:53, Justin Hornsby wrote:
>> Please be aware that I recently (~14 days) read that after the final 2012
>> switchover we will all have *eight* muxes available, not six. I don't know
>> what the mix of DVB-T/DVB-T2 is planned to be at that point.
>
> *Eight* muxes?  Sob!  Why does anybody think we need MORE Freeview channels?
> :-(
>
> I'm assuming it'll be for more channels - based on what they've done so far
> it'd be foolish to assume they're aiming to make picture quality comparable
> to analogue TV by reducing the amount of channels per mux.
>
> Where did the information about the extra muxes come from?  As far as I knew,
> OFCOM were looking to sell off all the old analogue spectrum which pretty
> much ruled out the possibility of any extra DVB-T (or T2) muxes coming along
> unless somebody was to pay (through the nose) for them.  I'm not even sure
> the consultation for post-DSO spectrum use is done with yet - the consulting
> period might be but AFAIK no decision had been reached.

I'm sorry I forgot to add a link - and now I find I can't remember exactly where
I saw it, I must apologise for that. However, here's a link to my own
transmitter, Hannington. Look particularly at the section after "After Wednesday
22nd February 2012":

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SU527568

--

Mike Perkins