[mythtv-users] TBS6981 & Freesat (UK)

David Cushing david.cushing at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:41:00 UTC 2011

I'm trying to set up Myth with a TBS6981 DVB-S2 twin tuner card, which
appears to be working... drivers are all compiled and installed.

Myth runs through the scanning procedure, but does not appear to save any of
the found channels anywhere.  If I go to the Channel Editor, there is
nothing there.  Any tips?
Also, whilst scanning, I get messages such as "Frequency xxx, Timed out, xx
possible channels"... so I'm guessing all is not going as well as it could?

So far I've been following the instructions at
http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_freesat.php, which have been kind of a
godsend... but I've got no idea what is going wrong.

I actually can't believe the whole set-up seems to be such of a rigmarole.
Surely there must be a better way of doing this?  If Windows Media Centre
offers pretty much plug'n'play operation, why is it so confusing setting up
Myth?  Presumably everyone in the UK who is using a DVB-S card to tune into
freesat channels will have largely the same settings?  Any variance might
come from differing DVB cards, but then presumably, that could be handled
with a bespoke config for each device, allowing the tuning (etc) to remain
the same?

It's getting rather frustrating, seeing as it takes 10-15 mins for each scan
- and I've done it 4-5 times now... grr!

Any help or insight would be gratefully received.

Thanks

D.