[mythtv-users] Do you build mythtv from source, and why?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Mar 29 20:26:59 UTC 2011

On Mar 29, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Mark Lord wrote:

> On 11-03-29 03:17 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> Because I'm impatient and waiting for the maintainers to build packages
>>> or implement fixes drives me crazy!
>>
>> Does it count as "building from source" if I build that source into
>> binary packages to install on all my systems?
>

> Sounds like BIY to me!  Absolutely.

I that case, the "why" is because I'm building these packages for
other folks to use too, via RPM Fusion, and I think for any system
where I want actual maintainability, mixing packaged installs with
source-based installs is generally a BAD idea. Note though that the
builds I'm using are for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 these days, but
the same srpm gets pushed into RPM Fusion's build system to spit
out packages for Fedora.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com