[mythtv-users] Do you build mythtv from source, and why?

Frans Grotepass fmgrotepass at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 18:18:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:42:56 -0400
Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 3/29/2011 10:27, Frans Grotepass wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:47:58 +1100
> > Jean-Yves Avenard<jyavenard at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> As for compilation flags; in these days and age; I doubt you would
> >> notice the difference performance wise following *tweaks* on the
> >> compiler
> > Is that so? The Atom that is often used in MythTV, a light weight
> > processor with a rich instruction set with many extensions for
> > multimedia processing should benefit by it. It is specifically in
> > this day and age with more extensive instruction sets that sticking
> > with just the i386 instruction set wastes the functionality.
>
> The Atom is a piece of garbage.  When Intel designed the Atom, they
> took a modern processor design, and then ripped out the last 15 years
> of research into branch prediction and instruction dispatch, leaving
> something that is every bit as cycle efficient as the old Netburst
> architecture, but half the clock rate.  Those 'rich multimedia
> extensions' you speak of are just SIMD units,
> single-instruction-multiple-data, vector instructions that have
> nothing to do with multimedia, but can merely be used with the type
> of processing often used for graphics.  These same vector
> instructions are similarly available in every other modern processor
> design, meaning they are nothing special to the Atom.

 :D:D A passionate person, are you? Maybe you should open up a nice
 bottle of wine tonight and get some stress out of your system.

Stress aside, I mentioned the Atom, since it is a light weight
processor that is on the edge of or beyond its capabilities. So yes, I
agree it is very light weight. The out of order execution is a sore
miss, I agree. For bigger processors, they are more than capable enough
to run an embedded application of MythTV. Sure, using the instruction
set extensions on bigger processors will prove a gain in keeping the
system quiet. (which will be the case with the Atom as well). It is
only that with the Atom, the effect will be more noticeable being so
close to the limit.