[mythtv-users] Incorrect listings after DST clock change (UK)

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Mar 29 13:45:15 UTC 2011

On 29 Mar 2011, at 14:30, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 29 March 2011 14:05, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 29 Mar 2011, at 13:32, Neil Bird wrote:
>>
>>>   One thing I *am* trying:  I run mythfilldatabase in a script 3-4 times to
>>> get bits from different places (I fetch the XML manually from BlebTV 3 times
>>> for various reasons), *then* run a final 4th. “let myth just do its thing”
>>> for the RT data.
>>>
>>>   On all of these, I'm now doing a run with '--refresh-today
>>> --refresh-all', which I've not had to do before, but which might make a
>>> difference.
>>>
>>>   If that fails, I'll manually blow the data away and re-run, just to
>>> guarantee it's fresh.
>>
>> There's all sorts of potential for timezone related grief in that. Myth works on local time and it's been deemed "too much work" to re-work everything to use utc timezones and offsets so with that added in there is every chance something has got mangled, offset twice somewhere.
>>
>> I'd be inclined to create a cron job to clean up and start again twice a year an hour or two after the DST/BST change dates. :-)
>
> I'd fix the underlying cause (if possible) which would remove this
> requirement.

I understood the underlying cause to be Myth using local time and that question has been beaten to death several times on this list so I don't wish to resuscitate it!

It seems a very common problems with PVRs & TV receivers generally, I've never owned a PVR or STB that didn't barf twice a year and those sorts of forums are always full of "My Sky Humax, Topfield, Panasonic PVR+- ate my hamster's recordings" stories twice a year.

Half the broadcasters seem to be amazed and shocked that DST has happened again and I'm sure they will be equally surprised in October ;-)

> My current "embedded" MythTV system has been running
> since 2006 and although I run latest XMLTV (as I develop it) I've not
> touched the MythTV install *at all* and have not seen any issues once
> Myth's own internal limitations are taken into account during BST
> changeovers.
>
> I raised a bug ticket a few years ago
> (http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5853) but it was closed in the
> last year as a "feature request without patch". Now you'll only see it
> if you search *all* tickets, even though the issues persists.
>
>> What extra does the BlebTV feed get you?
>
> I'm hoping it's just for the radio listings (I use EIT for that) as
> the Radio Times feed provides more channels, more days and richer
> listings data.

Oh right, I get that from EIT too, was just wondering if I was missing something interesting?

Andre