[mythtv-users] Having different video sources per tuner type that are connected to a single SD lineup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 27 19:06:01 UTC 2011

On 03/27/2011 11:54 AM, John Drescher wrote:
> I have a few HD tuners that can only access 8 or so unencrypted HD
> digital channels and a few analog tuners that (with a dta) can access
> the rest but can not access the HD channels. For the past 3 or so
> years I made use of SD having a separate analog and digital lineup.
> But this week analog is supposed to be no more so I will not be able
> to make use of having two separate lineups from SD.
>
> So my question is how does one deal with SD lineups when you have
> groups of tuners that can only access part of the lineup? I went into
> my mythtv-setup and deleted the listing sources and created two
> separate video sources for each group (Digital-DTA, Digital-HD)
> however the problem is what is the best way to ensure that only the
> available channels for each are in each set. I was going to the
> mythtweb interface and delete channels or mark them invisible but this
> seems very tedious and I would probably have to repeat this soon when
> new channels will be added. This would have been very easy if SD
> allowed us to create more than 1 instance of the same lineup but I do
> not see a way for that yet.

Multiple MythTV Video Sources can share a single Schedules Direct lineup.

So, you'll still have 2 MythTV Video Sources, but will only have one
"meta" lineup from Schedules Direct that contains all channels that are
available across both Video Sources.

You have 2 options for configuring them:
   a) Add all channels to both Video Sources, then delete the extras, or
   b) Modify your lineup at Schedules Direct to contain only the
channels from the first Video Source, set it up, modify the lineup at SD
to contain only the channels from the second Video Source, set it up,
then modify the lineup at Schedules Direct to contain the all the channels.

The second option is really not as bad as it sounds--especially when one
Video Source is a superset of the first.  In that case, you set up the
lineup with the first source's channels, then add the rest to the lineup.

See http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.2 for far more
details.

Once configured, you need to (always!) run mythfilldatabase with the
--remove-new-channels argument, so it doesn't add channels you can't get
to the Video Sources; or instead of deleting channels from the Video
Sources, mark them as not visible, and hope that no one ever tunes them
and locks up an STB or something.

Mike