[mythtv-users] Lirc and Ubuntu: Why won't this work?

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 23:56:27 UTC 2011

I'm on a clean installation of Ubuntu 10.10 and trying to get my HD-PVR IR
blaster to work. I have all the drivers compiled and loaded correctly. The
problem is getting lirc to run. I;ve never used lirc before so I'm not even
sure I know what it looks like when it works.

First problem I think is that /var/run/lirc is not created at boot time. It
seems like it should be. I always have to mkdir it.

Second problem is that even after I create that directory, '/etc/init.d/lirc
start' doesn't seem to do anything. There is no output and the lircd process
doesn't start. I *can* do 'sudo lircd' and it starts.

I have an /etc/lirc0 node, but no other /dev/lirc* devices. Is that right? I
keep seeing people talking about /dev/lircd but I don't have it, even when
lircd is running.

I feel like I'm close but Googling isn't helping. Anyone know what I'm
messing up? Thanks.