[mythtv-users] Recommendation on separate server or use existing desktop box?

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Fri Mar 25 01:05:01 UTC 2011

I have an Antec 900 with 4 drives that I currently use as my
desktop/frontend, it's only for me (no streaming to anywhere in the house).

I'm getting geared up to get an SSD drive for my OS and grab 4x2TB drives
with a RAID5 on 'em for storing media. I'm wondering which option would be
more beneficial/make sense:

a) Build a separate server box
or
b) Put the RAID in my Antec and continue using my desktop as normal.

I see two benefits to A, which are I could buy a case with hot-swapping
ability and if my desktop gets broken upgrading (I'm a sucker for bleeding
edge stuff and tinkering, heh) or something, I can use the laptop or the TV
itself to still access the server's media.

Obviously B is cheaper.

Appreciate any help figuring this out, cheers!
Bobby