[mythtv-users] lirc does not work on kernel 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 19:52:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2011, at 1:15 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:

>>> modprobe ir-kbd-i2c, use lirc in devinput mode, been covered on this
>>> list a few times in the past month or two.
>>>
>>> (lirc_i2c is dead, removed from the kernel, and its not coming back)
>>>

>> Jarod, thanks.  I had seen info on the list about need to use
>> ir-kbd-i2c; I just didn't realize it was a mandatory thing because I
>> thought I read people complaining about lirc_i2c not working on
>> earlier kernel versions.
>>
>> I am also unclear on how to use devinput mode.  Does that require me
>> using something different than lircd.conf file (I saw references to a
>> keymap on some of the threads).
>
> You need the lircd.conf.devinput config provided in the lirc-remotes
> sub-package, lircd set to devinput mode, and a pointer to the right
> input event device.

I will explore this and see if I can figure out how to do it.
Hopefully, the file is explanatory and easily configurable.
Hopefully, I don't also lose my custom keypresses I added based on the
Harmony One remote having more buttons than the remote that came with
the PVR-350.

>> Basically, is there a good tutorial out there that will show me how to
>> easily switch from lirc_i2c to ir-kbd-i2c?  I assume I need to make a
>> change in my lirc.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/ but that file was
>> likely created from me using one of your earlier guides, so I am a
>> little at a loss as to what to do there.
>
> Writing up something formally has been on ye olde todo list for a
> while, but I'm kinda swamped right now.

Thanks.  I was not implying that you create a write-up; I was just
hoping one existed.  I will see if I can figure it out from this
email, and if I do, will write-up my steps.  However, is it simply as
easy as swapping ir-kbd-i2c for lirc_i2c in the
/etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf file to get the new driver to autoload?

Currently, that file reads as:
#lirc_module_configuration
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c

I have no idea what the char-major-61 part refers to (I understand it
is a name used to represent lirc_i2c, I just don't understand the
significance of the syntax).