[mythtv-users] Multiple backends

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Thu Mar 24 18:14:11 UTC 2011

Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> writes:

> On 3/20/2011 13:46, Tony Lill wrote:
>> On 3/20/2011 11:50, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>> At current, the master backend requires a tuner card.  With no tuner
>>> card, the backend will shutdown, complaining about a failed sanity check
>>> in the scheduler.
>> You may want to rephrase that as "there must be a tuner card defined
>> in the database". It doesn't even need to be on the master backend.
>
> I thought it was more complex than that.  I assumed the scheduler would
> complain if there were no accessible tuners at the time of the check.
> Slave backends will not have yet connected, and as such would not be
> accessible.  Either way, a tunerless backend has never been a supported
> mode of operation.  It was never designed for or tested, and as such may
> result in inexplicable errors.

Nope, on my last upgrade I ran a master backend and one frontend for
weeks while I ported and tested my local fixes. I didn't connect
anything with a tuner to the system until a couple days before the
switchover. It seemed happy as a clam.

I've run tunerless backends for years. You may not have officially
tested it, but it seems to work. There may be issues trying to set one
up from scratch, but once you have a working system, setting up
tunerless slaves or promoting one of them to the master seems to work
fine.

--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants                 (519) 650 0660