[mythtv-users] Problem with video buffer when watching a DVD

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 02:02:44 UTC 2011

Hi

On 23 March 2011 12:40, Adam Jimerson <vendion at gmail.com> wrote:
> When watching a DVD myth will stop playback taking me back to the menu with
> a popup informing me that the video frame buffer has failed to many times.
> I have already tried manually increasing the size of the buffers for asound
> and restarting ALSA because when running the frontend in verbose mode I saw
> where it was complaining about the audio buffer underrun.  I increase the
> size of the buffer from 64 to 3072 and it is still happening.  This only

The ALSA buffer has nothing to do with the video buffer.

So increasing that buffer won't fix your issue.

The minimum buffer recommended is 128kB now ; but many audio cards
(e.g. most audio cards other than HDA ones) will only have a 64kB
buffer.

In practice it should work for most people even with only 64kB if all
you play is stereo audio (or AC3/DTS). For multi-channels audio (LPCM
or analog) you do need more buffer than 64kB.

back on topic.

> happens on some disks, but on the disks it does happen to it happens at the
> same spot every time, I have checked these disks for physical damage but
> didn't find anything but a couple of finger prints which I preceded to
> clean.  I don't know what else to check for in this case any help will be
> gratefully appreciated.  If it helps here is my output
> http://pastebin.com/EJjD253c

What's the version of the mythfrontend you are running.
mythfrontend --version