[mythtv-users] Running MythTV backend as root

cbeerse at gmail.com cbeerse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 18:43:20 UTC 2011

On 8-3-2011 15:39, Rob Wilson wrote:
> I am running Mythtv 0.24 from the Debian Multimedia archive.  I have
> been having persistent trouble running the backend reliably for quite a
> while now and have been running it as root from within a terminal window
> in order to understand why.  I have found that running it as root
> provides much better performance and I have hardly had any livetv
> crapping out episodes.  I have also noted that top is running at about
> 1.95 on a quad core processor.  I had seen this at greater than 10 in
> the past whereupon the whole server would require rebooting

I donnot know your unix/linux knowledge, hence appologies if I
underestimate you. WIth the above text I advise you to start with a much
more tailored linux/myth distribution. For example mythbuntu. You can
even run that one live.

Once you get mythbuntu running, compare it to your own settings.
Specially look at things like:

- the account/group that runs the processes (with `top`)
- the rights and accounts on the files in /etc/
- the way filesystems are mounted: in /etc/fstab (system level) or at
user level (with the filebrowser).

CBee