Giles gbirchley at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 14:23:01 UTC 2011

On 21/03/11 10:15, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:07:09 -0700
> From: scram69<scram69 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] feeding the correct argument to sdlmame with
> 	mythgame
> To: Discussion about mythtv<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> mythgame currently launches the selected player using the command
> listed in the setup page, but automatically appends
> "path/to/romfile.zip" to the command.  sdlmame, on the other hand
> wants a command like mame64 gamename, and the path for the roms is
> stored in a config file.  I guess I'm dense, but I can't figure out
> what to put on the commandline in the settings page in order to get
> sdlmame to work.  I've tried %gamename or just gamename, since these
> are in the database, but mythgame just parses them literally, e.g.:
> "mame64 %gamename "/Users/Shared/roms/asteroids.zip"".  Anyone using
> sdlmame with mythgame?

I put a text file with the rom name in the mythgame rom launch path (I
don't want to display my entire romset in mythgame) and this seems to
launch sdlmame roms okay, even though the config file"mame.ini" points
to a romset elsewhere - on launching it complains that some rom files
may be missing, but this doesn't stop them launching (if you get my
drift). However it relatively easy, and perhaps more elegant, to
truncate the string sent to mame to remove the path - I do this to
launch aae, which is a vector arcade emulator that runs under wine. My
script to start aae that mythgame points to is as follows:

#!/bin/bash
qjoypad "aae" &
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/home/mythtv/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/aae'
cd /home/mythtv/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/aae
wine aae.exe "${1##/*/}"
# strips out longest string between / and / ie removes the path - so no
path will be sent to aae, just rom name
xrandr -s 1680x1050
qjoypad "mythtv" &

So if you write your own script to call mame with something similar it
should work ie. write a script that goes:

#!/bin/bash

and this should strip out the path info that mythgame sends to mame.
Save the script as start_mame (or something) and in the mythgame command
configuration tell it to launch mame with:

start_mame s%