[mythtv-users] Moving MythTV to new hardware

Spencer Herzberg spencer.herzberg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 03:30:39 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
>  I'm currently acquiring stuff to move my MythTV to a new hardware
> platform.
> I plan on completely installing Myth from scratch to the new system.
>
> While I'm currently using a LinHES distro (and it's worked quite nicely),
> I'd like to use CentOS as the base server platform (suggestions welcome).
>
> The real question is: how easy will it be to transfer all the myth-specific
> stuff (db & recordings) to the new system? I looked in the Wiki - but not
> sure what the best search term is. I tried "transfer" and didn't see much
> useful yet.
>
> So I thought I'd ask here before I just in with both feet.
>
> Cheers and thanks,
>
>  -Ben

I am also planning on doing that this week when my new computer parts come
in. So I haven't actually done this but did do some research.

Looks like this is what you are looking for from the MythTV docs and looks
to provide most of the things you (we) need at least from the backend point
of view:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration

I also found this post pretty useful in understanding how to move everything
safely:
http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html

Like I said, I haven't done this yet but it should help you move in the
right direction.

-Spencer