[mythtv-users] Multiple diskless frontends off one image

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Fri Mar 18 20:47:10 UTC 2011

"Robin Gilks" <g8ecj at gilks.org> writes:

> I would guess I'd need to have separate /var, /tmp and maybe /etc and
> /home directories with /usr, /sbin, /opt, /mnt and /lib as common ones.
> Does this sound reasonable and just how do I do it? (I'm sure someone here
> has done it before!!). Something has to get the mounts in the right order
> during boot so I'm hoping this is a wheel I don't have to re-invent :)

I run two diskless frontends off a single image. I mount /tmp, /var/tmp,
and /var/log on tmpfs, but everything else is shared. All I had to do
was remove /etc/hostname so it would take it's name from
dhcp. Everything in myth is run out of the database and keyed on the
hostname.

With a bit of script-fu, I even manage to run the nvidia proprietary
driver on one, and ati on the other!

Debian lenny, and now squeeze.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants                 (519) 650 0660