[mythtv-users] ITX Based Frontend Case

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 12:46:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Naoyuki Tai <ntai at smartfruit.com> wrote:

> I also use a Inwin's case, similar but different model.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108227
>
> I like it a lot.
>
> -- Tai
>
> On 3/17/11 6:41 PM, Kevin Ross wrote:

> M350,
> larger

> >> The appeal of the MI-008 is that it would accomadate 3.5" HD (I have
> >> several new ones looking for a home).  I'm not too fond of the "cube"
> >> style mini-ITX cases, though.  I had one years ago for a micro ATX board
> >> (shuttle system) and it was very noisy and ran hot.
> >>
> >> Jay
> > I had an MI-008, and hated it.  The location of the power supply was
> > terrible, airflow was terrible, and the power supply fan was loud.
> >
> > I much prefer my new case:
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108196
> >
> > Good airflow, the fans are pretty quiet, and room for a stock cooler
> > (needed a low profile cooler for the MI-008), and very inexpensive.
> >
> > -- Kevin

I have had no problems with the IR receiver hidden in the front bezel of the
M350.  I am using an XBOX DVD IR receiver.  This allowed me to make my IR
receiver small and flat with a real short cable.  You can get create to make
others fit.

Another thing to consider about the M350, is that if you get close it and
look down on it, you can see everything inside through the holes.  This is
not visible unless you are almost on top of it.  Even then, I think it looks
cool.  I have the OS thumb drive, and USB IR receiver hidden in the front
bezel.  I am also using a Zotac IONITX-C-U board and the PSU is integrated
into the motherboard.  This makes for a very clean interior.

I had one of those Mini-ITX In-Win cases for another purpose and I liked it.
 It is small and not so cube like.  It also gives a little more clearance
above the motherboard over the M350.

-Tom