[mythtv-users] Tuner Schedules

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 12:27:20 UTC 2011

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
A: Top-posting.

Spencer Herzberg wrote:

>>I have a similar situation with my Sky + box being used for live TV
>>most of the time. The way I've got around this is to have the
>>Channel Change Script check a control file to see if it is OK to
>>change channel or not (in my case it's only OK if it's changing
>>channel in order to record a program, not if it's a "live TV"
>>channel change). You could easily modify your channel change script
>>to check the Time of Day, or, if you wanted to be able to do the
>>same as me you can use the "Recording Pending" event to set the
>>flag in a control file. The "Recording Pending" event is triggered
>>about 3 or 4 time in the minute or two before the recording is due
>>to start, you can't use the "Recording Started" event (as would
>>seem to be the obvious trigger to use) because it is triggered even
>>when Live TV is started.

>This would work well. So do you tell mythtv that you are not
>actually recording the current program if the "control file" is
>present? Does your channel change script do something like click
>"don't record" so it will record later?

The problem I see with this is that the scheduler will work on the
assumption that a tuner is available - and so the recording you
cancel may be the later showing. SO the scheduler passes up an
opportunity to record a show because it knows it's repeated later -
and then you cancel the later recording. The end result is that you
don't record either showing - while it's quite possible that the
earlier showing could have been recorded.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Simon Hobson