[mythtv-users] Fast Quiet Sata drive?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Mar 16 20:55:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 07:51:59PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > Also, I have to think that a 2.5" hard drive designed for rough
> > service in a laptop will outlast a 3.5" when the 2.5" isn't actually
> > seeing rough service in a laptop.
>
> There are a number of new(er) 2.5" drives designed for the
> "enterprise" market which are designed for 24/7 constant
> operation.  "Laptop" drives are not.  Their target is (mostly)
> off or sleep mode.
>
> I suspect "laptop" qualified drives have gotten better, but
> a number of years ago, a large router vendor used laptop
> 2.5" drives in their products due to form factor/capacity/
> performance, and found that the drives all died after a few
> years because laptop drives really were not designed for

    A "few years" isn't so bad really. Set up thing with that
in mind. Drives will wear out eventually anyways. Just account
for that in your design. You can even get hot swap bays for 2.5
drives. That might be something to consider. Probably would make
the resulting system uglier though.

    Drive on a myth backend are going to get hammered regardless
and any type of drive you put on it is bound to see a lot more
action that it would on any other sort of consumer PC.

[deletia]