[mythtv-users] Fast Quiet Sata drive?

Joe Hickey jfwd at phlobus.net
Wed Mar 16 19:20:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
> Again, I some times record 4HD Mpeg streams, while watching a 5th, and
> possibly even a commflag at the same time. I really don't think dropping
> down in performance is an option.

I'll reiterate something that has already been said here and seems to
have been overlooked:

In your initial post you said you are connecting this drive over USB.

That is going to be your performance limiting factor, not the drive.
I'm sure even the lowliest of modern 2TB drives (green or not) can
saturate the USB bus.  If performance is a concern, USB is not the
proper storage interface!

FWIW, my WD 2TB green drive can easily handle 2 HD + 1 SD recording +
watching HD + commflag job and I haven't noticed any i/o issues, but i
also haven't pushed it to see how much more it can do either.