[mythtv-users] CommandIR II or III and Comcast Shenanigans

Brent Meyer brent.meyer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:57:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Spencer Herzberg
<spencer.herzberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am in the same boat as the others in the Comcast STB Upgrade thread.
> Firewire channel changing seems to have broken after the STB upgrade.
> So until its fixed, how well does the CommandIR III work? Looks like it
> would be perfect if you have more then one STB or even to control audio, tv,
> etc. Plus they say it is designed for linux.
> Thanks

It works very well. I used to use a CommandIR II to tune a couple SD
boxes, and I never missed a recording because of missed channel
changes.

I use firewire now, but I'm keeping the CommandIR unit around just in
case Comcast decides to "upgrade" my FW boxes.

The only problem I have ever had with the CommandIR II was that it
didn't work with the USB chipset that my motherboard used (according
to CommandIR's support, this is a common issue with certain nForce
motherboards). A cheap USB PCI card solved that problem. I'd imagine
this issue has been cleared up in the CommandIR III.