[mythtv-users] Build for dual HD recordings - also is PSU enough/too much

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Mar 14 21:30:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 03:56:49PM -0400, Digital Hit Entertainment wrote:

> > There are 2 different considerations here: If you are recording multiple
> > shows, and perhaps also watching one of those shows, the bottleneck
> > (such as it is) is the disk and controller for where those shows reside.
> > Realistically, there is no such bottleneck for these types of streams.
> > I have a number of times had 3 HD streams (all OTA) and one SD stream
> > (digitized cable feed using PVR-500) being recorded AT THE SAME TIME I
> > WAS WATCHING another show.
> >
> > Meanwhile, the OTHER bottleneck, is commflagging and the database. This
> > is all mysql table entries and while that is going on, you might also be
> > commercial skipping in the show you are watching.
> > This is a different sort of bottleneck, but it does depend on quick hard
> > drive access.
>
> Also, my incoming video will be hardware decoded with the HD Homerun...so will that make a difference?

   The HDHR doesn't "hardware encode". It effectively dumps raw material from
the airwaves. This leads to potentially quite large MPEG2 files. That could
escalate the amount of disk IO you see. Probably not enough to matter.

   I have a HDHR and 2 HD-PVRs and one recording drive and no troubles. Although
my recordings would choke on my network first. They're all remote.

   Your single green drive should be fine. Just don't use it for anything else.

[deletia]