[mythtv-users] F14, recent kernel upgrade, pvr250 lirc module not found

David Krainess davidkrainess at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 16:03:53 UTC 2011

> From: Harry Orenstein <holists at optonline.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] F14, recent kernel upgrade, pvr250 lirc module not found
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Date: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 5:24 PM
> <snip>
>
> > Any hints (can it be done?) on how to still use the RS
> 15-2116 (0081)
> > remote, irrecord doesn't seem to recognize it.
> Any help greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> I recently did the same thing, but I don't use lirc
> anymore.  I just use
> ir-kbd-i2c with this keymap:
>
> # table universal, type: UNKNOWN
> 0x0000 KEY_NUMERIC_0
> 0x0001 KEY_NUMERIC_1
>
> You'll need to compile v4l-utils from source so you can map
> the scan codes to
> the keys wiith ir-keytable.  HTH!
>
> -- Harry O.

I am trying to understand "modprobe ir-kbd-i2c 1" makes the grey Hauppage remote work along with the statement in another thread that lirc_i2c is redundant of ir-kbd-i2c.  I cannot get the same functionality,  meaning, irrecord does not recognize key presses on my 15-2116 (0081) remote whereas it irrecord did on lirc_i2c.  I blindly guess "modprobe ir-kbd-i2c 1" was implemented in a way to match to the default devinput lircd.conf file get standardization.  Do I have this right?

That being said (and I am not way off base), I have a jp1 enabled remote.  I am going to try to get the 15-2116 to use the same protocol and config as the Hauppage grey remote; I hope there are enough keys in the implementation to match the 15-2116.

You mention that you don't use lirc, I assume you mean application integration of lirc, but you are using lirc to simulate keyboard strokes.  Using multiple lirc enabled applications, I prefer the application integration of lirc, rather than sending keystrokes.  This allows for easier remote functionality between those applications, IMHO.

I have read many of the threads on this, I hope this thread helps others out as tthey work through this change.

Regards