[mythtv-users] 0.24 Mac OS X Build

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Fri Mar 11 00:53:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM, TJ Harris <tjharris at weaselworkz.com> wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, there is not a ticket open.
>> I have mostly moved to a Linux frontend, so I have not spent much time
>> debugging this, and I didn't open a ticket.
>
> Well, I've got two OSX frontends that I'm fairly attached to, so
> hopefully we can find a fix to get the performance back to where it
> was under 0.23...
> Here's the ticket:
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9650

I tried doing some debugging on my MBP17..   I ran mythfrontend and
used Shark to see where it was spending its time, comparing 720p to
1080i to see if there were any glaring differences or unexpected
functions being used.

After doing that for a few minutes, it locked my MBP solid requiring a
reboot.  So, I don't think I'll be doing much more of that.

In the brief time, a couple things of note I saw were:

- Top CPU user in both 1080i and 720p was mmx_i420_2vuy  color
conversion.  Kind of surprising that it isn't done in hardware.
- nvChannel::waitForTimeStamp  was present on both, but much higher
CPU usage at 720p (2.8% vs 0.8%)