[mythtv-users] Any advantage going to 64 bit?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 00:48:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>

> Is there an advantage to me running in 64 bit?  If so, what would I

I'm not sure if there's an advantage. There might possibly be a
performance difference in transcoding. Just in case there IS a
difference, I do run all my MythTV systems in 64-bit.

> need to do to accomplish this (on a Fedora 14 system using yum with
> atrpms as my primary install method)?  Is it as simple as yum install
> <correct kernel> and then yum update to get all my programs upgraded
> to the 64 bit versions as appropriate?

It's generally considered a Bad Idea to do an upgrade from 32 to 64
bit Linux. Usually the recommendation is to save data and settings,
then do a clean install.

I HAVE done it once, by starting the upgrade DVD, but deleting the
existing /lib and /usr/lib directories before the actual package
install. YMMV.

Calvin Dodge