[mythtv-users] Using Handbrake to transcode recordings to an iPhone

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 23:19:05 UTC 2011

On 03/09/2011 01:04 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Harry Devine<lifter89 at comcast.net>  wrote:

>>> Harry, I tried to do this using tools available on myth (although not
>>> handbrake).  I found that it was better to install handbrake on my
>>> windows machine, copy the file from my mythbox, and transcode on the
>>> windows box.  The added benefit is that the Windows box is a quad-core
>>> phenom and the mythbox is a single core sempron, so it likely works a
>>> lot faster on the windows box and does not tie up myth's resources.
>>>
>>> The windows version has a gui frontend and presets for the iphone.  I
>>> can transcode an hour HD recording to the iPhone in around real time.
>>>
>> Thanks!  I'll give that a shot.  But you are able to take the transcoded
>> file and put it onto your iPhone via iTunes and play it, correct?
>>
> Yes.  I was also able to put them on an iPad (which was my primary
> target).  I did it at the iPhone setting to conserve space and put
> more movies on the iPad.  Works really well (plus the cool factor of
> telling people that I converted these movies from my homebrew dvr, yet
> another reason myth is a superior product).

I got this to work for me pretty well.  I used the windows GUI at first,
but it took over 4 hours to transcode a recording.  When it was done, I
was able to transfer it to my iPhone via iTunes.  I did notice that the
file was an m4v file and not an mp4.  So,  I re-did the cli version on
my backend and, wouldn't ya know it, it worked as well.  I did use the
iPhone preset instead of "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset.

So my next step will be to script it and make a user job out of it.  One
question with that though (and I can make this a seperate thread if it
will help): I have 1 user job already which will run mythlink.pl to
create human readable show name links.  Does Myth run each job in order,
1 at a time?  Or are they kicked off simultaneously?  I don't want to
have the iPhone transcode going on while the mythlink.pl job is
running.  Granted, the mythlink job is relatively fast.

Just curious.  Thanks for the help, and for any answers on the job
questions.
Harry