[mythtv-users] Using Handbrake to transcode recordings to an iPhone

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:51:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I found a thread yesterday that discussed this, so I thought I'd give it
> a try since I just got a Verizon iPhone, and thought it would be neat to
> bring a few recordings with me to watch during my lunch break at work.
> I installed Handbrake on my backend, and ran the following command:
>
> ./HandbrakeCLI -i <file> -o <file>.mp4 --preset="iPhone & iPod Touch"
>
> That created an mp4 file that I got down to my Windows box.  When I try
> to use iTunes to put it on to my iPhone,  I get an error saying that the
> file could not be imported since it cannot be played on the iPhone
> (something like that; I'm paraphrasing).
>
> Has anyone had much luck or success getting recordings transcoded for,
> and on to, an iPhone?  Specifically an iPhone 4?  The iPhone OS version
> is 4.2.6 if that matters.  I also have it jail-broken too.
>
> Thanks!
> Harry

Another option for the iPhone is to run AirVideo Server on the backend
and convert on the fly.  It uses ffmpeg to convert, and I've had very
good results streaming to remote locations. I run a nightly
mythrename.pl to give my shows human-readable names for the iPhone.
Of course, this means you will need to be near a wifi hotspot, as it
will quickly send you over the limit for your 3G data allotment...
Here's a link:
http://wiki.birth-online.de/know-how/hardware/apple-iphone/airvideo-server-linux